Friday, January 1, 2010

God and Uncle Sam Have Senses of Humor

Why do I even bother? Number one, I am a child of God- how can you really ever predict, plan or prepare for His intentions? But even if I thought I had some means of control over this crazy life of mine, why don't I consider for a moment that I am also owned by the Army?

I have to smile about it. I can't be too sad or upset, disappointed or let down. After all, it's just two weeks. TWO WEEKS! But I was foaming at the mouth to tear off week 7 on my paper chain this Sunday and round the corner to a mere 6 weeks left in this long-awaited journey of ours. But alas, there is red tape. Forget a Valentine's Day arrival- it was just too good to be true, and far too romantic I guess. End of February, Lord willing. Sam willing too.

I know it's only two weeks and Justin says to be thankful for his tour not having been extended for six months or something crazy, and all-too realistic these days. I am thankful. It's all relative. I was just so wrapped up in what little time was left. I mean, you can read- you saw how I had already planned out the day of the ceremony, the menu for dinner, the week following. But God probably laughed as I wrote it- he IS all-knowing, after all. And I went on and pretended that I knew what He had in store. That's okay. A sense of humor has always been important to me.

I bet He almost busted a gut today watching me at Lowe's, buying paint, rollers, brushes, and spur-of-the-moment supplies to lay tile along my kitchen backsplash (which I DID today, and did WELL, I might add!). All that and 8 weeks left.

Oh well. More time to feather my nest.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Meredith, I feel your frustration. We are all very ready to be home. I wanted to tell you I enjoy your website and take a minute to thank you for the packages you sent us over the holidays. The cookies and biscotti were excellent, I would love the recipe if they aren't a family secret. I don't know what Justin did to reel you in (ha), but I told him he should count his blessings and keep doing what he is doing to hang onto you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meredith,
    Just wanted to let you know that it is our 'week' to pray for you and Justin and we've been thinking about you all, reading about you (on your blog - nothing weird) and praying hard. We love you all and cannot wait to read that post that says Justin is home!

    ReplyDelete