Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eighty-six the Sadness, Substitute with Pride

No, I never worked in a diner, nor have I ever been a waitress. I have never used the phrase "Eighty-six the mayo," or "Order up." But here's a little-known fact: At one point, my hometown in Georgia did make room for a restaurant called Vittles. I rejoiced in the day that it would open. At night I laid awake in bed, picturing myself parading around on roller skates, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner to a host of hungry customers. Why I picked Vittles, I have no idea. When it finally did open, the food was terrible and the waitresses didn't wear roller skates. My dreams were crushed. Am I living vicariously through that far-fetched idea? Maybe a little. I know one thing for certain: I tend to live vicariously through most of the ideas I've ever had. This is my blog. This is officially my first entry.

Words cannot describe the way I am feeling. Next week marks a monumental time in my life. My husband is leaving for Iraq. He will be gone for one year. Time has flown to get us to this point. I am praying that time will fly to get us through it.

I never picked this lifestyle. I never laid awake in bed dreaming of roller skating alone (please, I haven't roller skated in fourteen years) or of being a military wife. But this lifestyle picked me. I am honored. I am proud. I am screaming from the top of my lungs that my husband is serving overseas to give YOU the freedom to read this blog, love it or leave it, and to have any feeling imaginable about this country, this president, this government, this opinion of mine.

You have everything, you know that, don't you? You have America to fall back on, have you nothing else. You have this because of people like my husband. I just wanted to remind you of that. Because if you don't like this first entry, you probably won't want to read the rest of them. The great thing about this whole thing? It's America. You can do whatever you want. Thanks, Justin.

post signature

9 comments:

  1. All that I can add is that both of you are in my prayers and have my thanks and gratitude for the courage and valor embodied in your service in the name of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere - definitely in my prayers this week and continuing until Justin gets back! And can I just say that this is the CUTEST blog design I have ever seen, Miss Roller Skates! Thinking of you, love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. meredith, we will definately keep Justin in our prayers, I have kept meaning to call you because we have missed seeing y'all...but I have to say that I love your blog it is so cute and creatice
    Liz Caldwell

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meredith-Chase and I are definately keeping you and Justin in our prayers over the next year! You are such a strong woman, you know that?!!? I can't wait to read your blog! Blogs are so much fun!!!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin will be fine. My concern is for the poor bastards that have to listen to his Nacho Libre impressions for the next year. Peace out.

    Love,

    Townes Van Zandt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meredith...you are the cutest and most creative thing! Thank you for providing this outlet for us to keep up to date with you and Justin. Scott and I join you in your pride for Justin and his sacrifice. We are also proud of you and YOUR sacrifice. You are both in our prayers. We love, love, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your first entry...and yes the Hollidays will be following along and keeping you both in our prayers! We love you both and miss you tons! Come and visit soon! By the way, your blog is soooo cute...can't wait for the 2nd entry!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mere & Justin - I love you both and thank you for what you are doing for our country and the name of freedom! Your blog is fabulous - as I knew it would be. I can't wait to get more updates sprinkled with your wit, humor, and unabashed patriotism.
    I love you!
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have had all of you in my thoughts. Please know how much we love you. Thanks for keeping us up to date in such a cute way. Justin looks so happy! Judie

    ReplyDelete